top of page
College Campus

Yale School of Arts

Project Overview

Yale school of arts is a website aimed at prospective, current and alumni students as well as caters to faculty. It showcases their courses, student work, alumni events, news happening on campus and various admission processes and details.

My Contribution

UX Research, UX Design, Information Architecture, UI Design


Note to add: I did independently work on this after the semester to enhance some features, deliverables and add more design elements to the project.

Team Members

Individual Project - Pooja Gurudatt


3 months 

The Problem Statement

Yale School of Arts seeks to enhance its website to facilitate users in efficiently accessing information, navigating web pages, evaluating available courses, and enrolling in their diverse range of arts programs. The website exhibits poor usability with a confusing navigation structure, disorganized information that is not readily accessible, numerous dead-end links, an outdated design, and a lack of both search and navigation systems. User-friendliness is rated at zero

Antique website

Lack of information

Not user centric

Dead links and data

The Objective

To revamp the Yale School of Arts website through an in-depth exploration of its framework, comprehensive research about the university, usability analysis, and information architecture enhancements, resulting in a redesigned layout and navigation system. This project aims to provide the website with a refreshed and modern interface, ultimately increasing web traffic and enrollment to college programs. Our goal is to prioritize user-centric designs, ensuring that the website becomes highly user-friendly and responsive to the needs of its visitors.


Design Process





Sneak Peak into the final designs

1. Discovery 

  • I completed did a heuristic analysis for the current Yale school of arts website to find out several design mistakes, usability issues and accessibility problems. 

  • I also referenced several similarly graded colleges to see what they have to offer that Yale school of arts website lacks and did a comparative note.

  • A deeper website assessment helped me pinpoint all the changes I needed to make and create improvements. 

Revamp website

Mobile UX

Collect Data

Retain Users

2. Research

  • I did first round of content assessment to see what I'm working with. 

  • Created user personas based on the needs and opportunities I could find during research.

  • Compared some well known university websites and noted features to introduce into Yale website.

  • Once I was able to create an information architecture and sitemap, I tree tested the layout and also did a navigation stress test to better design the UX.

Content Assess

User Research

Competitive Analysis


Mobile UX

2a. Research - Content Assessment

  • Vintage website with jarring visuals and not apparent navigation system. 

  • Search is not present and there is not any structure noticed. No accessibility options.

  • Information unorganized and scattered data for users. User unfriendly. Zero branding. No aesthetics.

Screen Shot 2023-12-07 at 8.13.53 PM.png

2b. Research - User Research

  • Desk research led me to discover the personas of actual students who go to university, the staff who are employed there and potential students. 

  • I crafted the personas for each of these users.

  • Based on these personas, I designed the user journey.

2c. Research -Competitive Analysis


3. Site Testing

  • Tree test using "Optimal Workshop" tool with 10 participants. Only 50% efficiency with old website.

  • Based on feedback from the tree test, I redesigned the information architecture to better organize data and information and did card sorting with 2 participants. This resulted in over 90% efficiency!

3. Design

My favorite part of the journey has to be the design phase. I was on a tight schedule of 3 months to present my design ideas and I thought having a prototype will be best to communicate these features to stakeholders. 

I gave more importance to redesigning the information, having a search and navigation system, big and bold sections of important data, about page and courses page.

1. Used Figma for wireframes. I contemplated over many versions before settling for the current one shown below. 

2. Developed the wireframes further to create the prototype to best showcase my design ideas.



4. Design - Wireframes

Screen Shot 2024-02-29 at 8.33.57 PM.png

4. Design - Prototype

 The YaleTransformation


  • Navigation and good data structuring can completely make-over a product.

  • Following basic system needs like search and accessibility can improve user experience.

  • Humans want to explore and connect and by providing the correct medium, success is guaranteed! 

  • Universities are places of exploration, networking, showcasing talent and skills and gaining knowledge and their products like websites should reflect that.

bottom of page